How to get Occupancy Certificate
This article describes how to get Occupancy Certificate (OC) for your property without paying a BRIBE.
A certificate of occupancy is a document issued by a local government agency or building department certifying a building's compliance with applicable building codes and other laws, and indicating it to be in a condition suitable for occupancy.
2 Why should you get an OC
Obtaining an OC is a requirement under the Karnataka Apartment Ownership Act, 1972. The law says one cannot legally move into a building unless the developer gets an occupancy certificate from the BBMP or BDA. The corporation can ask apartment owners to leave such illegally occupied flats or impose heavy penalties.
Occupancy certificate is also required when the buyer applies for Khata. However, note that the occupancy certificate is not needed for registration of the property during purchase currently in Bangalore (though is mandatory in some parts of India). This often leads buyers to believe that the occupancy certificate is not important.
3 Who is responsible of getting/applying for OC
The builder/person who is constructing the flat/villa/apartment is responsible for getting this to the buyer of the flat/villa/apartment. The builder needs to fill an occupancy certificate application form, submit documents and pay required fees for the issue of the certificate. However, in case the deviations are up to five percent from the plan, then a fine will be charged based on the extent of deviation made. Once the fee is paid, the occupancy certificate will be issued.
1. Requisition for issue of Occupancy Certificate.
2. Completion Certificate as in Bye law - 2003
3. Recent Katha Extract, Katha Certificate and Current Year Tax paid Receipt.
4. Fire Clearance Certificate - issued by Fire Force and Emergency Services Department(For High Rise Buildings)
5. Consent For Operation - Issued From KSPCB (for Buildings with Built up area more than 20000 sq.m).
6. Photos - of Buildings
- Rain Water Harvesting System.
- Waste Collection System.
- Solar Water Heating System.
- Transformer yard
- Vehicle parking system
Source: BBMP Building Bye-Laws 2003