This article is incomplete! Please check back later!
1 MLA Definition
Voters of an electoral district (constituency) elect a Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA) as their representative to the State Legislature (Vidhan Sabha).
2 Duties of an MLA as an member or Legislative Assembly
- Legislative powers: The main duty of the Legislative Assembly is to make laws for the state.
- Executive powers: The assembly has control over the State council of Ministers. The State council of ministers is responsible and answerable to the Assembly for its activities. The Assembly many pass a no-confidence motion against the council of Ministers if it is not satisfied with the performance.
- Financial powers: The legislation Assembly has control over the finances of the state. A money bill can be introduced only on the floor of the Assembly. The government can not impose, increase, lower or withdraw any tax without the approval of the Assembly.
- Constitutional powers: The Assembly also takes part in the amendment of the Constitution on certain matters.
- Electoral powers: The state Legislature plays a role in electing the President of India. Elected members of the Legislative Assembly along with the elected members of Parliament are involved in this process.
2.1 MLA Behavior and Activity Score Card
This score card helps to evaluate the performance of an MLA based on the behavior and activities.
|A1||Assembly||Number of full assembly sessions held in year||A functioning assembly session is key to get the required work done. As a benchmark, Lok Sabha meets 71 days/years.|
|A2||Participation||% attendance of MLA in the assembly sessions||What is the best role model %?|
|A3||Passing Bills||How the MLA has voted in the list of laws (and amendments), money bills, and constitutional amendments brought to Legislative Assembly during his/her tenure.|
|A4||Questions||Number of questions grouped by category raised by the MLA in the assembly||What are these categories?|
|A5||Representation||Average number of hours/month spent by the MLA consulting with the constituents|
|A6||Accessibility||Does the MLA live in the constituency?|
|A7||Transparency||Does the MLA publish the income and assessment statement annually to the constituents in Kannada and English? Has the source of wealth increase clearly explained?|
|A8||Accessibility||How accessible is the MLA? What are the various methods to contact him/her? Average response time to queries and complaints?|
|A9||Issues||Has published a top 5 issues list for the constituency||Should be made available in his/her FB page.|
2.2 MLA Performance Score Card
This score card helps to evaluate the performance of an MLA based on establishing capability and results achieved.
|P2||Government Land||% area of government land fenced and encroachments removed|
|P3||Lakes||% of perimeter fenced and encroachments removed|
|P5||Law & Order||
2.3 Mahadevpura Top Issues
|Category||Issue||Action Taken by MLA||Current Status|
|Nuisance of Flex Banners|
|Number of Black Spots|
|Roads||Existence of Road|
|Pot Hole Free|
|Pollution||Levels of Pollution|
|Promoting Public Transport|
|Traffic||Ensuring Capability in terms of Law enforcement officers|
|Open Space||Available green space to walk|
|Law and Order||Cases reported for the most severe crimes such as Rape, Murder, Serious Assault|
|Ensuring Capability - number of law and order officials here for our population|
|Ensuring follow through and justice served for our victims|
2.4 Role Model MLA
The sole reason for this is the exemplary work done by MLA Satam at Mumbai. Since he has been elected, we have seen multiple positive changes in our ward. He is honest and hardworking and available to us 24/7.'' In the past two and a half years, Satam has built 18 gardens, 40 toilets in slum areas, helped undertake the Juhu beach beautification, cleared Versova beach of decades-old encroachments, and followed up the Gilbert Hill conservation plan.