Neighbourhood Watch Program
This article is incomplete! Please check back later!
Whitefield Citizens and Police Working Together to Prevent Crime
1 Introduction to Neighbourhood Watch Program
1.1 Roots of Crime
Wealth without work
Pleasure without conscience
Knowledge without character
Commerce without morality
Science without humanity
Worship without sacrifice
Politics without principles --- M K Gandhi
1.2 Citizen Police Concept
To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the Police; the Police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen, in the interests of the community welfare and existence
-- Sir Robert Peel, Founder of Modern Policing
"The Police are the public and the public are the police"
1.3 How safe are our Neighbourhoods ?
Crime in general and crime against Women and Children in particular is on the rise evident from the statistics. Many crimes also go unreported due to lack of awareness, disbelief in the system or just due not knowing how to report.
1.4 How it started in Whitefield
With increasing instances of crimes being brought to notice of Whitefield Rising Volunteers for help rather than to police fearing reprising or due to fear, the need was seen to bring awareness to citizens on how to report and solve issues they are facing. Under the able guidance of Truthlabs Founder and Chairman Dr Gandhi PC Kaza and with formidable support of the Whitefield Division Police, Whitefield Rising Volunteers took up the initiative to
- Build Neighbourhood Watch Program in Whitefield
- Build Citizen Police Wardens who are Volunteers in Police Service to assist police
- Build CrimeStoppers Whitefield Chapter which empowers people to speak up in anonymity. Neighbourhood Watch and Volunteer Citizen Police are critical to strengthen the citizen involvement in reporting crime. However for situation of emergencies issues have to be reported to Police 100.
- Why Anonymity?
- Fear of reprisal
- An attitude of apathy
- Reluctance to get involved
- Crimestoppers breaks these barriers and gives citizens the opportunity to provide information without directly speaking to police of having to testify in court.
- History of Crimestoppers in India – started in India in 2007 to enable citizens to fight crime by reporting what they know anonymously. Established by Dr Gandhi along with eminent heads of Police and Judiciary.
1.5 Neighbourhood Watch as the first step..
We Need Neighbourhood Watch Groups to help Police Create Safe and Secure Neighbourhoods in Whitefield. There is need to build member base to include all communities, village and street neighbourhood watch representatives.
1.6 What is Neighbourhood Watch
- Is a crime prevention program under which civilians agree to keep an eye on one another's properties and report suspicious incidents to Police.
- A Cooperative Effort with Police – to assist and to help reduce crime in the neighborhood
- A way to unite against crime in our communities
- What does it consist of ? – Group of individuals willing to make small effort to create safe environments Example : As simple as identifying and taking up foot path/street cleanup/light up to avoid unwanted elements lingering and watching our movements.
- How does it help?
- Creates a platform to discuss major community concerns and ways to tackle
- Encourages good communications between neighbors sharing best practices etc
- Information such as Senior Citizen homes, Homes with people on vacation if shared will let neighbors be on a watch.
- Social Media can take traditional Neighbourhood Watch to the next level!
- Whatsapp groups
- Community emails to share information